Former US envoy says escalation would have been worse than deal

Middle East Eye · May 24, 2026 Politics

Former US envoy says escalation would have been worse than deal Former US ambassador to Israel, Dan Shapiro, said the reported agreement between Washington and Tehran was a “weak deal” but argued it was preferable to further military escalation. In a post on X, Shapiro said the conflict had been poorly conceived and lacked clear strategic objectives that could be achieved at an acceptable cost. Shapiro said the reported agreement was among the “less terrible” options available to President Donald Trump and welcomed the apparent decision not to intensify the conflict, warning that further escalation could have triggered a deeper global economic crisis.

← Back to Feed